Monday, December 01, 2014

Angel Sometimes Speaks Up


  I started writing Angel Sometimes a couple of years ago. She came into my head and wouldn't leave.  I had finished the first of many drafts of her story when I was awarded a four-week scholarship to the Vermont Studio Center.

For four weeks, I wrote, walked, met other authors, wrote, listened to lectures, wrote…. Did I mention that I wrote? Then I came home and edited and wrote some more. I gave Angel the job of swimming as a mermaid because I knew she could do it. I swam for four years as a mermaid while I was getting my B.A. and M.A. 

It took a while before I felt the book was done. Not long after it was published, Angel Sometimes was awarded a USA Best Book Award.  As you might guess, I was hop-around-the-office happy. But what was even more fun was talking with readers who emailed me.

I can't speak for other authors, but for me, my days are mostly spent typing on the computer, re-reading what I typed, catching grammar mistakes, and re-reading some more. An email from a reader or a "hi" on my Author Facebook Page is great. For a few minutes, I'm connected to a reader.


What this all boils down to is: listen to the voices in your head. Write down what they say. If it's a character talking to you, pay attention. 

8 comments:

  1. Hi Helen - congratulations on both degrees, the course sounds amazing ... and that's great Angel Sometimes is published ... so very good luck and no wonder you were hopping happily around .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely got a lot of writing done while I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so enjoyed Angel's job as a mermaid! It was something I'd never heard of and as a former swimmer, diver and participant in water ballet, it was so intriguing to me. Congratulations on your award, Helen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liza. I didn't know you'd participated in water ballet. How interesting. Did you do the kind where you're on the water surface? Or underwater, like I did?

      Delete
  4. How wonderful to win a four-week scholarship at a writer's retreat! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're interested, google Vermont Studio Center, and see if there taking applications to go there.

      Delete
  5. Since I've started writing, I also make a point to let authors know when I enjoy their books. It makes my day to hear from readers.
    Congrats on the award. Your hard work paid off.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Ann. Hearing from readers is such fun. And it makes you feel like you're reaching others.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...